The Right Way to Apply Skin Care Products
Are you applying your facial skin care products in the correct order, and with the proper application techniques?
Order and timing matter
The two most important things to consider when it comes to applying your facial care products are timing and order.
- Timing matters. Certain active ingredients can have a one to three hour working time, especially heavy duty acne treatments. If you were to apply another skin care product over something with a long working time, you would be preventing the active ingredients from working properly.
- Order is also very important. A good rule of thumb is that you apply products in order from lightest (most watery/liquidy) to heaviest.
What is the right order to apply products?
- Facial Cleanser (AM/PM) - Wash your face with a gentle cleanser morning and night. "But I went to bed with a clean face, so I don't need to cleanse in the morning." This is not the case. While sleeping, your skin is still being exposed to everything from pet dander to leftover skin cells from prior nights left behind on your sheets and pillowcases. You still need to cleanse.
- Facial Toner (AM/PM) -- Refresh and hep balance skin pH with a soothing toner.
- Eye Cream (AM/PM) - If you use eye cream, apply this now so that it has time to sink in. The skin under your eyes is thinner than an eggshell and has very few oil glands. A richer product for this area is best, allowing several minutes to absorb. If you don't, any makeup used around the eye area may smear.
- Serum (PM) -- If you use serums, whether they are oil based or water-based, now is the time to apply. Serums tend to be lightweight with potent ingredients and should be applied closest to the cleansed skin.
- Facial Moisturizer (AM/PM - see sunscreen below)
- Sunscreen (AM) -- If you are wearing sunscreen, it needs to be the last step in your facial care routine. Why? If you apply a moisturizer on top of your sunscreen, the ingredients will likely dilute the potency of the broad spectrum sunscreen ingredients, rendering it much less effective. If you are oilier, you can skip your moisturizer in the AM and just use the sunscreen. At night before bed, skip the SPF and use your moisturizer only.
Now that you know which order is best, let's make sure you are using the right amount and application techniques to maximize the effectiveness of the products in your Seed Advanced Botanicals Facial Care Regimen.
- Splash your face with warm water and apply a small amount of cleanser to hands (about the size of a dime). Gently use your fingers to massage the cleanser into your face. Some people use cleansing brushes and other devices and our creamy cleanser does work beautifully with them.
- Rinse with warm water and PAT the skin very gently. Do not rub with the towel, as this can help to promote the appearance of wrinkles.
- Next, take out your cotton ball or cotton pad and press down once on the convenient applicator of our toner bottle. This dispenses just the right amount. Lightly swipe toner over the skin.
- To apply our moisturizer, pump a pea to dime size amount of lotion to your fingertips and massage in gentle upward motions. Remember to be kind to your skin -- don't tug on it; pamper it! If your skin is very dry, do not keep applying more moisturizer, as you can get too much of a good thing when it comes to skin care. Preparation is everything. If you cleanse and tone twice daily and exfoliate your skin up to two times a week, your moisturizer will be able to penetrate more easily.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Lately I've been paying more attention
Black Cumin Seed Oil is an ingredient used in skin care that is unfamiliar to many. We like to think of it as an unsung hero. Just what is Black Cumin Seed Oil and why is it so beneficial for the skin?
Let's learn more:
Black Cumin Seed Oil, or Nigella sativa, is rich in history. Used in skin care for thousands of years, it is believed that both Cleopatra and Nefertiti used the seeds in their bath water. In fact, it is said that this ingredient has been used by royalty as a natural skin care remedy for over 4000 years!
Black Cumin Seed Oil is an elixir for red and irritated skin. Known for its anti-inflammatory and antibacterial benefits, Black Cumin Seed Oil is a magical skin care oil that can be used on every skin type.
College students, let us help you establish a healthy skin care and wellness routine.
We've all heard about the "Freshman 15." I gained about 7 pounds freshman year. I can tell you that I had many choices in the dining hall, but my mom wasn't there to make sure I ate my fruits and veggies. I loaded up on macaroni and cheese and mashed potatoes. I drank soda pop instead of water. I made Pop Tarts in my dorm room and ordered pizza regularly. Eat as many fresh, whole foods as you can and drink lots of water. Your skin will benefit from this. I recommend eating lots of
If you are on the quest for healthy looking skin, this ingredient needs to be in your skin care arsenal.
Niacinamide, or Vitamin B3 (also called Nicotinic Acid) offers multiple benefits to the skin. It can help to visibly diminish the appearance of large pores, fine lines, skin dullness, and also helps to even out skin tone.
There is solid research supporting the benefits of Niacinamide.This skin vitamin is one that truly benefits nearly every skin type. Other recent research published by the editors of the Melanoma Letter suggests that niacinamide "can significantly reduce recurrences of actinic keratosis, basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma in patients with a history of these lesions."