Holiday Lip Color Tips
Gilded hues. Winter Red. Burgundy.
From gorgeous merlot to bright berries, we’re enamored with the season’s richest lip colors. The newest crop of lip hues that we’re seeing are edgy and dramatic. Afraid to go bold? We are here to help you pull off the look like a pro.
Find the right shade for your skintone.
The trick to pulling of holiday lips with ease is to make it work your individual skintone. We’re sharing some tips to help you master the art of wearing the boldest shades.
Seed Satin Lip Gloss has a perfect trio of colors that are perfect for all of your holiday events -- from concerts and cocktail parties to New Year's Eve. If I could recommend my must-have glosses for this time of year, I would suggest:
- Attention, Please
- Good As Nude
- Warm Red
Cool Undertones - Those with rosy skin and green or blue eyes often look best in blue-based hues. If you look best in silver jewelry, chances are you have cool undertones. Women with cool undertones typically have visible blue veins on the underside of their arms. Try a magenta or fuchsia shade to achieve the look you’re going for. The perfect gloss for the job is Attention, Please.
Warm Undertones - Those with yellow or peach in their skin typically have warm undertones and look best in berry that is a purple meets red hue. Think burgundy. Eye colors with this undertone typically range from hazel to brown. If you have warm undertones, the veins on the underside of your arms will appear slightly green and you will look better in gold jewelry rather than silver. A color to try: Bordeaux.
For Everyone - Warm Red is the perfect bold shade for nearly any and all skin tones. Whether your skin is warm or cool, the undertones of this shade are neutral enough for your complexion. Plus, just like a Little Black Dress, we ALL need a perfect red lip gloss!
Pull off a rich, punchy colors lip like a pro
- With a lip this dramatic, it is important to keep your eyes soft and neutral.
- Keep your face shine-free and flawless. With bold berries on the lips, you want to avoid high voltage shimmer on the face. Keep it simple by applying mattifying primer and a semi-matte tinted moisturizer or foundation.
- Make it multidimensional. Apply a pearly golden-hued nude lip gloss just to the center of the lips to create fullness and prevent lip color from looking flat. Nude is perfect for this! I apply it in the center of my bottom lip and then at the "bow" on the upper lip. Adding this dimension makes lips look full and healthy.
Lip care tips to ensure smooth, long-wearing application
- Exfoliate the lips with a DIY sugar scrub. This will slough off dead skin and help prevent flaking. Smooth lips are key for lipstick application and berries and purples can be unforgiving if you have dry lips.
- Moist lips are key! Nourish with Seed Lip Oil lip for soft, healthy lips. The natural, plant-based oils are just what your lips are craving.
- To ensure a flawless, bleed-proof look, clean up the edges of the lip with concealer. Make sure the concealer matches your skin or it will draw attention to the area rather than camouflaging any mistakes. You can also try a flesh toned lip liner to seal in color. For our comprehensive post on preventing lip color from bleeding, check out this past blog post.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Lately I've been paying more attention
Essential oils continue to become more and more popular -- and with more science behind the benefits. Today, we are going to enjoy an in-depth look at Patchouli Essential Oil.
Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin) is distilled from patchouli leaves and features an earthy, warm, musky aroma. You may even detect some light fruit notes from this oil. This is one of those oils that people either tend to love or hate when used on its own. Even people who swear that they could never enjoy its distinctive scent may find that become fans when blended with other oils! Plus, there are so many health and skin care benefits that you will not want to overlook this one.
Argan oil is one of the most promising -- and most proven -- ingredients in skin care. While it is not a new ingredient, it is an important one which has stood the test of time.
Today we're sharing 5 key benefits of this oil. Although it is not as well known as coconut oil or jojoba oil, argan is truly a special oil.
Argan oil, found in both Seed Soft Balm and Seed Advanced Botanicals Extra Moisturizing Face Cream, contains more antioxidant and cell regenerative properties than olive oil, grape seed oil and avocado oil combined.
Did you know that having a skin care ritual is one way to engage in self care?
According to Houston dermatologist Dr. Reena Jogi, “When you do a skin care routine, you’re usually alone, in your bathroom or somewhere quiet, and it’s just you and the mirror. There’s something slightly meditative about just sitting there and taking that 10 minutes just for you.”
We've talked about the skin care benefits of having a consistent routine here on the blog before, but that actual routine has far greater benefits that reach beyond a glowing complexion.