You may have noticed that your skin is starting to feel a bit uncomfortable with the colder to temperatures. Dry, itchy, and flaky skin are all common skin changes that you may experience as we head closer to winter. It is so important to moisturize your skin with beneficial ingredients to keep it looking healthy and feeling hydrated.
Now is the time when so many of us make the switch from lightweight lotions to heavier creams and butters. Butters and balms just sound rich, don't they? Don't be fooled by names. It is what is IN the jar that matters.
Today I would like to compare Seed Silky and Rich Body Cream to The Body Shop Shea Body Butter.
Ingredients in The Body Shop Shea Body Butter:
Aqua, Butyrospermum Parkii, Theobroma Cacao Seed Butter, Glycerin, Cyclopentasiloxane, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate , Cetearyl Alcohol, Cyclohexasiloxane , Cera Alba, Lanolin Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Xanthan Gum, Benzyl Alcohol, Disodium EDTA, Linalool , Coumarin, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Limonene, Citric Acid, Caramel Colour, CI 19140
Ingredients in Seed Silky and Rich Body Cream:
Water (Aqua), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Emulsifying Wax NF, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (Coconut Oil), Stearic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf (Green Tea) Extract, Glycerin, Gluconolactone (and) Sodium Benzoate, Cetyl Alcohol, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Tapioca Starch, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract.
Relaxing Lavender features Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Essential Oil.
Similarities between the two products:
- Both contain water and shea butter.
- Both come in a jar.
Differences between the two products:
- The Body Shop product contains several controversial preservatives, including multiple parabens.
- The Body Shop product contains both artificial colorants and artificial fragrances.
- The Body Shop product contains PEG ingredients. These are suspected to be environmental toxins, according to the Environment Canada Domestic Substance List.
- The Seed product adds in soothing aloe vera, grape seed oil, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, green tea extract, antioxidant Vitamin E, and rosemary leaf. All are amazing plant-based ingredients to make your skin feel nourished, pampered, and with a silky, supple feeling.
- The Seed product uses an EcoCert compliant preservative that maintains that integrity of the formulation without being harmful.
- The Seed product contains ZERO synthetic colorants or fragrances ever.
- The Seed product is decadent, rich, and luxurious, but it is lightweight enough to sink into your skin without feeling greasy.
The Body Shop 6.7 ounce jar retail price of $21 and the Seed 8 ounce jar has a retail price of $14.95. If we break it down per ounce, The Body Shop Body Butter will cost you $3.13 an ounce vs. $1.87 per ounce for the Seed Silky & Rich Body Cream with superior naturally plant-based ingredients.