Beauty Buzz: The Korean Skin Care Routine
Beauty trends come and go and one that is really popular right now is what's known as the Korean Skin Care Routine. Just what is the Korean Skin Care Routine and how does it differ from other facial skin care regimens? Let's learn more!
Interesting Facts About the Korean Skin Care Routine
There is a great emphasis on prevention versus correction.
- At a young age, women in Korea are taught to take good care of their skin, often heading to bathhouses with their mothers. It is cultural to invest time and energy into the art of a skin care routine in order to keep skin looking younger longer.
- By contrast, in the United States, women are generally a bit more relaxed about their skin care products until they begin to notice subtle signs of aging.
The Korean Skin Care Routine involves many steps.
- There are ten steps, to be exact. Ten. It is truly a ritual.
- The idea is that a lengthy (typically 30 minutes) routine helps pamper and nurture your skin.
- Says esthetician and Korean beauty expert Charlotte Cho: "It’s the lifestyle and mindset behind skin that’s really getting people interested in Korean skin care rituals."
The traditional 10 steps
- Cleansing oil to remove all traces of eye makeup
- Foaming cleanser
- Essence -- a lightweight, less concentrated product used before a serum
- Serum (known as ampoule in Korea)
- Sheet mask (a wet, paper-like mask)
- Eye cream
- Moisturizer (usually with SPF)
- Night cream
Are ten steps really necessary?
Here's my take: I have been in the skin care industry now for more than half of my life. I believe that taking preventive measures -- beginning a solid skin care routine with potent vitamins and active ingredients -- is really important. I believe that as a culture, we are always busy and in a hurry. This aspect of our lives tends to carry over to our skin care.
We rush. We skip steps. We opt for fast over thorough. Sometimes we "forget" or our too tired to take off our makeup at the end of the day. Other times, we go a couple weeks without exfoliating, thinking "What's the big deal?"
In that regard, I really think that the aspect of taking a break to sit back, relax, and truly pamper ourselves is really important.This "me time" is quite essential to our sense of relaxation and overall self-care.
From a practical standpoint, ten steps is just not realistic, nor is it cost effective. I also worry that there are many negatives to layering 10 different products on the skin in one evening -- allergies, a too-high concentration of certain ingredients, and the greater likelihood of clogging the pores being among my key concerns.
Cleanse, toner, moisturize. Do these faithfully. Exfoliate a couple days a week minimum. Wear sunscreen. Take off your makeup before bed. These are my must-do skin care steps. Use facial skin care products with natural and healthy ingredients like Seed Advanced Botanicals facial care.
Have you tried the Korean skin care routine? Thoughts? Share with us!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Lately I've been paying more attention
We cannot believe that it's already the second week of December. While the calendar technically still says Autumn, your skin is likely showing the effects of winter temperatures.
With the changing seasons comes a need to adjust your skin care routine a bit.
Winter is the ideal time to repair and renew your skin. The long, hot summer temperatures -- and extra sun exposure that you experienced -- likely did a bit of damage to your skin, so now is your opportunity to do a bit of repair and prep your complexion for the winter months ahead.Here at Seed, we are sharing our expert tips for soft, healthy looking skin all winter long.
Still having a hard time finding the perfect gift for the holidays? No need to look any further, because our limited-edition Luxe Lemon Ginger Body Cream is just what you've been looking for.
It can be difficult choosing body care for people. Many people find scented products to be too strong. In fact, artificial fragrance is linked to everything from allergies and asthma to chronic headaches. Our body creams are scented only with 100% natural essential oils and are subtle and beautiful. There is something so very special about this particular body cream.
It's like a comforting cup of tea.
Not only is the formula pure luxury with its decadent, rich texture, but the ingredients sink right in to pamper even the driest of skin types. Enriched with sunflower seed oil, grape seed oil, coconut oil, shea butter, antioxidant green tea, and more, our cream makes your skin feel as smooth as satin. Did we mention the aroma of the pure oils? It is honestly like a cup of herbal lemon ginger tea. It is comforting and warm, spicy and a bit tart. It is just stunning. Treat yourself -- or someone you love -- to Luxe Lemon Ginger Body Cream from Seed.
Did you know that this cold, dry winter weather can have a major impact on your skin care routine? Our friends near the Great Lakes are seeing significant amounts of snowfall. My friend Lauren in West Seneca, New York has more than five FEET of snow. Let’s take a look at the low humidity and frigid temperatures affect your skin.
Itchiness and a tight feeling are common skin issues related to dry air, but there are some skin care tips you can use to help tackle the problem.
- Be gentle on your skin. When you dry off after bathing, be sure to pat your skin dry. Don’t rub.
- Always follow your shower or bath with a rich cream layered over body oil.
- Look for cream formulations instead of lotions and fluids for facial hydration.
- Avoid ingredients such as alcohol and sulfates, which will cause more dryness.