Have you noticed that your frown lines seem to be increasing? Are you pondering a consultation for Botox?
I am 41. I know many people my age who are getting Botox. I also aware of the pressure to stay looking young as long as possible. We live in an appearance-driven society. Unfair as it is, it’s reality.
I don’t think I ever felt that pressure to look young until I returned as a 39 year old makeup artist doing special events gigs and was at least 15 years older than my counterparts. I remember a 20 something makeup artist telling me that she hopes her skin looks good when she was “as old” as me someday. That really hit home. I do not think that I had ever felt like I was starting to look older until that day. I studied my skin in the unforgiving magnifying mirror when I got home that night, making note of the uneven discoloration and texture, the little lines that were beginning to creep up.
I have long been a proponent of aging gracefully. Aging is a NORMAL process. That said, I have taken great care of my skin since I was in college and paying attention to ingredients and their efficacy has been on my radar just as long.In the back of my mind, I know it is because I still want to “look good” when I am elderly. I think that, in the past, I have viewed people who choose Botox as vain, but in truth, it makes them no more vain than I am for being a stickler for good skin care.
Once upon a time, I said “NEVER!” to the notion of getting Botox one day down the road. Is it an issue of my own self worth? An issue of vanity? Of peer pressure?
I think these are my own issues to deal with at a later date, but I know I am surely not alone.
Thinking of making an appointment to get Botox? Before you do, let’s take a look at the pros and cons of Botox injections.
What is Botox?
We’ve all heard of Botox, but do you know what these injections actually are? Botox is the trade name of the drug made from the botulinum toxin. This is a purified form of the same neurotoxin that can cause total paralysis. When used in very small amounts, though, it can relax and soften lines around the eyes, on the forehead, and between the eyebrows. These injections are done with very fine needles and can deliver truly impressive results.
The Pros of Botox Injections
- FDA approved and injections are completely safe if done properly
- Fast procedure takes just a few minutes
- No risks from anesthesia, as none is needed
- Side effects and allergic reactions are very rare
- No down time required so you can do not have to hide out
- Affordable compared to invasive surgical procedures
- Results are typically very natural looking
- Most patients experience a boost in self esteem from results
- Effective at treating other issues such as excessive sweating and migraines
The Cons of Botox Injections
- Results are only temporary, so upkeep is required every three to six months
- Expensive because of frequent upkeep
- Procedure can be painful because of the fine needles used
- Can cause loss of feeling and sensation to treated areas
- Not typically recommended on lower part of face because of impact on facial nerves
Is Botox for you?
If you are not seeing results with your anti-aging skin care products and are not interested in invasive surgical procedures, Botox may be an option to consider.
Solid anti-aging ingredients in your facial care products can -- and will -- make a noticeable difference with consistent use. However, there are certain things that products cannot do. The fact of the matter is that there is NO skin care product out there that can do the same thing that Botox can do. However, that doesn't mean that ingredients such as niacinamide, sea kelp, alpha lipoic acid, and potent antioxidants can't visibly make your skin appear more youthful. These can all be found in Advanced Botanicals Facial Moisturizer.
If After weighing the pros and cons of Botox injections, if you have more questions be sure to schedule an appointment with your dermatologist. Have you had Botox before? What was your experience?