We're continuing our All About Essential Oils series today on the (seed) blog with an in-depth look at Patchouli Essential Oil.
Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin) is distilled from patchouli leaves and features an earthy, warm, musky aroma. You may even detect some light fruit notes from this oil. This is one of those oils that people either tend to love or hate when used on its own. Even people who swear that they could never enjoy its distinctive scent may find that become fans when blended with other oils! Plus, there are so many health and skin care benefits that you will not want to overlook this one.
The Health Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
- Patchouli Essential Oil may help promote sleep, according to a preliminary study published in the Journal of Natural Medicines.
- Patchouli is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and anti-fungal, per a study published in Microbios.
- Commonly used for meditation, Patchouli is considered a grounding oil and may have anti-depressant qualities.
The Skin Care Benefits of Patchouli Essential Oil
- Patchouli may help to alleviate symptoms associated with eczema and dandruff.
- This oil is skin balancing, making it helpful for both oily and dry skin types.
- Anti-aging properties are associated with Patchouli.
- Patchouli may help prevent mosquito bites by acting as a bug repellent, according to a study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
Blending Ideas for Patchouli Essential Oil
- Clary Cage
Seed Beneficial Blends featuring Patchouli Oil:
If you’re craving a little mystery or a touch of the exotic in your life, you’ve come to the right place.
- Lushly scented Ylang Ylang is considered an aphrodisiac
- Orange’s sweet citrus notes balance the floral notes and add relaxation properties
- Distinctive Patchouli creates a sense of calm
We’ve all had that kind of day: stress, stress, and more stress. Rescue your evening with a bath or shower featuring Stress Relieving Blend Body Wash. Ready, set, de-stress!
- Clary Sage helps alleviate exhaustion and stress
- Lavender is recognized for its ability to soothe the senses
- Patchouli’s distinctive aroma provides a sense of calm