5 Skin Care & Beauty Resolutions to Keep in 2019
Can you believe it is already the first full week of 2019? Me either!
I don't particularly care for New Year's Resolutions. Quite frankly, I believe in living each day one day at a time. I also believe that instead of trying to fix what we perceive as being flaws, we should resolve to treat ourselves more kindly. I do have some skin care and beauty resolutions that I would like to share with you, though.
1. Resolve to wash your face every single night before bed -- no exceptions.
- Dermatologists recommend removing makeup each night for several reasons. First of all, if you do not remove your makeup, your pores will not have a chance to "breathe".
- Your pores will become clogged with the ingredients in your makeup, no matter how natural it may be. The sebum will become trapped in your pores and you're risking a breakout. Leaving on eye makeup can cause other issues, such as redness, irritation, and even infection.
- Environmental contaminants also lurk on the skin, so a gentle cleansing is in order.
- You also may begin to look older if you do not remove your makeup at night. Why? Your skin cells regenerate at night at a faster rate than daytime. If your skin cannot breathe because of makeup left behind, the cell regeneration process won't be effective, making your skin look older over time.
- Choose a gentle cleanser such as Seed Advanced Botanicals Daily Facial Cleanser.
2. Resolve to use sunscreen, even on cloudy days.
- Natural sunscreens generally are more costly than drugstore chemical-filled and potentially harmful sunscreens. This is true.
- What is so important to remember, though, is that a good sunscreen is going to be your best anti-aging product. Since much of aging can be attributed to UV damage, sunscreen is imperative.
- Most people will not hesitate to spend quite a bit of money on a night cream or serum or on a handbag or shoes. In fact, I know of people who will spend $250 on a handbag, but do not want to spend the money on an effective natural sunscreen.
- Think of it this way: you only have one skin. It should only make sense that you take care of it. Sunscreen can help prevent skin cancer AND help prevent the signs of aging. Not many products can say that.
3. Resolve to clean up your routine.
- I know it can be hard to eliminate harmful products "cold turkey". Take small steps. Use up what you have right now in your vanity and then when it is time to replace products, choose more natural alternatives. Stop purchasing products tested on animals, heavily fragranced products, those with petrochemicals, silicones, parabens, animal by-products, etc.
4. Resolve to say goodbye to artificial fragrance.
If you choose to eliminate only one ingredient, make it synthetic fragrance.
95% of artificial fragrances are petroleum based chemicals. (According to a report from the National Academy of Sciences in 1986; report not refuted)
Many artificial fragrances contain Phthalates, which disrupt the endocrine system and are known carcinogens. Phthalates are banned in the EU. They can damage the reproductive system and are also harmful to the environment. (Source: Cosmetics Database)
Artificial fragrance is a leading cause of asthma and allergies. (Source: Toxic Beauty by Samuel Epstein)
At Seed, we offer a large selection of fragrance free products, as well as products scented only with 100% pure essential oils. YES, you can smell like citrus or lavender or mint, but we make sure that it is done without harmful synthetic fragrances.
5. Resolve to embrace aging (it is not a bad word).
I am not sure about you, but since when did it become "bad" to grow older? My stepmom is in her mid 70s and looks more beautiful to me than she did when she came into my life when I was 13 (eek, that was 30 years ago!). Yes, there are more lines on her face. However, she taught me to love the skin I am in, no matter what. She taught me to respect it, to care for it, to be proud of that first line I noticed because it meant that I have spent much of my life laughing and enjoying myself.
Some of the advertising out there puts out this message that getting older is a negative thing. The beauty of life is that we DO grow older and wiser. As there have been advances in research into ingredients, we also have many better-for-you ingredients to help keep your skin looking healthy, radiant, and supple whether you are 25 or 75. Pamper your skin with healthy products like Seed Extra Moisturizing Face Cream and your complexion can look better than it ever has.
Here's to a healthy & happy 2019!
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Lately I've been paying more attention
Date palm extract is one of those treasures. We knew it needed to play a major role in our best-selling Seed Advanced Botanicals Extra Moisturizing Face Cream. Just what is date palm extract and why is it one of the best anti-aging ingredients available today? Let's learn more.
Today we're taking a look back at a common hand cream ingredient: dimethicone. This is silicone. Let’s learn a bit more.
2018 was a big year here at Seed. We celebrated our 9th (NINTH!) year, added even more precious ingredients to our natural face and body care lineup, offered new packaging, revamped our website for an even more seamless shopping experience, started offering limited edition scents, and launched Soft Balm. We thank you for being part of our 2018 and look forward to celebrating 2019 -- our tenth year!
Let's take a look at some of our 9 favorite blog posts, why don't we?
If you were to chat with your favorite esthetician or dermatologist about their favorite ingredient to combat dry skin, they will likely say that it is hyaluronic acid. In this blog post, we are sharing the many benefits of hyaluronic acid (which isn't actually an acid in a traditional sense).