Can you believe it is already 2018?
I don't particularly care for New Year's Resolutions. Quite frankly, I believe in living each day one day at a time. Each day is a fresh start and there is no time like the present to make a change. Whether it is to work out more, relax or create more art, I believe you should just make that change rather than waiting for a certain day on the calendar.
1. Resolve to wash your face every dingle night before bed -- no exceptions.
- Dermatologists recommend removing makeup each night for several reasons. First of all, if you do not remove your makeup, your pores will not have a chance to "breathe".
- Your pores will become clogged with the ingredients in your makeup, no matter how natural it may be. The sebum will become trapped in your pores and you're risking a breakout. Leaving on eye makeup can cause other issues, such as redness, irritation, and even infection.
- Environmental contaminants also lurk on the skin, so a gentle cleansing is in order.
- You also may begin to look older if you do not remove your makeup at night. Why? Your skin cells regenerate at night at a faster rate than daytime. If your skin cannot breathe because of makeup left behind, the cell regeneration process won't be effective, making your skin look older over time.
- Choose a gentle cleanser such as Seed Advanced Botanicals Daily Facial Cleanser.
2. Resolve to try a new lip color.
- As much as I love Attention Please, I tend to wear it almost all the time. When I was not paying attention to ingredients many years back, I had to staple shades from a French brand -- one was a mauve and the other was a rich plum. I tend to have "comfort colors". Those are the equivalent of charcoal and black clothes for me -- my go to colors nearly every day.
- Be adventurous! Promise yourself you'll try a new shade. My friend Nikki rocks the nude lip almost daily with her medium-deep olive skin, but recently decided to try a brighter hue to make her eyes pop. If you are looking for a brighter coral in exchange for your nude, consider Seed Bellini in Venice.
- We can help you find your perfect lip shade! Check out our lip color guide right here.
3. Resolve to use sunscreen, even on cloudy days.
- Natural sunscreens generally are more costly than drugstore chemical-filled and potentially harmful sunscreens. This is true.
- What is so important to remember, though, is that a good sunscreen is going to be your best anti-aging product. Since much of aging can be attributed to UV damage, sunscreen is imperative.
- Most people will not hesitate to spend quite a bit of money on a night cream or serum or on a handbag or shoes. In fact, I know of people who will spend $250 on a handbag, but do not want to spend the money on an effective natural sunscreen.
- Think of it this way: you only have one skin. It should only make sense that you take care of it. Sunscreen can help prevent skin cancer AND help prevent the signs of aging. Not many products can say that!
4. Resolve to green your routine.
- I know it can be hard to eliminate harmful products "cold turkey". Take small steps. Use up what you have right now in your vanity and then when it is time to replace products, choose more natural alternatives. Stop purchasing cruelty-free items, those with petrochemicals and parabens, animal by-products, etc.
5. Resolve to say goodbye to artificial fragrance.
If you choose to eliminate only one ingredient, make it synthetic fragrance.
95% of artificial fragrances are petroleum based chemicals. (According to a report from the National Academy of Sciences in 1986; report not refuted)
Many artificial fragrances contain Phthalates, which disrupt the endocrine system and are known carcinogens. Phthalates are banned in the EU. They can damage the reproductive system and are also harmful to the environment. (Source: Cosmetics Database)
Artificial fragrance is a leading cause of asthma and allergies. (Source: Toxic Beauty by Samuel Epstein)
At Seed, we offer a large selection of fragrance free products, as well as products scented only with 100% pure essential oils. YES, you can smell like citrus or lavender or mint, but we make sure that it is done without harmful synthetic fragrances.