Natural beauty tips date back centuries. Cleopatra is still known today for taking milk baths and Sappho, an ancient Greek poet, was famous for using rose petals in skin care. Many natural beauty rituals have stood the test of time for one reason — they are still effective today!
What I really love is that research and technology allow us to use these plant-based ingredients even more efficiently in skin care to provide even more direct benefits.
Are you a do-it-yourselfer? Check out our 5 favorite natural beauty tips using wholesome, edible ingredients. You very likely already have these ingredients in your kitchen.
1. Tomatoes contain lycopene, which may just help with acne scars. Simply apply tomato paste to your face and it can help face acne scars and reduce the signs of damage from UV exposure.
2. Strawberries contain salicylic acid. Mash up these vitamin-rich berries and apply to your skin. The natural salicylic acid will help your pores shed clogged debris and oil and help clear blackheads. Why? Salicylic acid is oil soluble, so it can actually penetrate the pores.
3. Lemons are great for the hair and skin! Squeeze lemon juice into blonde hair and the sunlight will help to naturally add highlights. You can also dab a bit of freshly squeezed lemon juice onto age spots or discoloration and over time they will lighten.
Beauty Booster: Our Advanced Botanicals Facial Regimen offers two products: cleanser and moisturizer -- which can be formulated for you with Lemon and Grapefruit for brightening.
4. Banana peels contain something called lutein, which has shown to be helpful for skin conditions such as psoriasis. Anecdotal evidence even suggests that irritating skin tags commonly found on the neck can get a bit of relief when banana peels are applied. This may even save some people a costly trip to the dermatologist.
5. Cucumbers are of great benefit to you if your skin is sensitive because of the high water content and presence of antioxidants. You can apply sliced cucumbers to the eye area to reduce swelling and puffiness. Mashing a cucumber and applying it to your skin can also soothe and cool inflamed, sensitive skin.
Beauty Booster: Our Advanced Botanicals Facial Toner and Moisturizer both contain cucumber!