The Monthly Roundup: What's Trending in Industry News?
Today on the Seed blog: it's the Monthly Roundup. Our Roundup comes near the beginning of each month when I examine the most recently trending stories of interest on the subjects of beauty, skin care, health and wellness, aromatherapy, and more.
So what's trending right now?
- 6 Essential Oils to Help You Get a Better Night’s Sleep -- Dr. Marlynn Wei, a Harvard-trained Psychiatrist and Certified Yoga Teacher contributed an article to the Huffington Post about the benefits of aromatherapy and essential oils for a good night’s sleep. She mentions in the article that certain oils such as Lavender Essential Oil have been shown in studies to have an impact biochemically that is similar to anti-anxiety medication. Wei also mentions the scientific studies showing that Essential Oils can help relieve stress and promote sleep. These oils, Wei says, include Lavender, Lemon, Bergamot, Ylang Ylang, Clary Sage, and Jasmine.
- It’s All in the Application -- Dermatologist Dr. Whitney Bowe made an appearance on the Today Show to talk about the proper way to apply skin care products. She shared that your products will not work the way they are designed if not applied properly. For example, the proper way to apply a facial moisturizer is to use a quarter-sized amount and apply it in upward motions, which helps to plump and lift the skin, she says. Bowe also advises using less moisturizer toward the middle of the face where skin tends to be a bit oilier.
- Defining Natural in the Food Industry -- There is a new article out in Consumer Reports talking about consumer confusion while shopping for healthier foods. The article talks about how the term “Organic” is regulated when it comes to food, but the term “Natural” is not. One concern mentioned is that there are processed foods being labeled natural when they may contain very few natural ingredients. The magazine is calling for the FDA to either clearly define the term “Natural” as it applies to food or prohibit its use altogether.
- NDTV just published an article about Grape Seed Oil and whether it truly lives up to all of the health and beauty claims posted around the web. The article shows that, YES, Grape Seed is one fabulous oil. The experts weighed in on claims ranging from its antioxidant protection to its ability to make skin look radiant and glowing. We’ve been singing Grape Seed’s praises for years here at Seed -- and it’s great to see another article confirming what we’ve already known.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Lately I've been paying more attention
Date palm extract is one of those treasures. We knew it needed to play a major role in our best-selling Seed Advanced Botanicals Extra Moisturizing Face Cream. Just what is date palm extract and why is it one of the best anti-aging ingredients available today? Let's learn more.
Today we're taking a look back at a common hand cream ingredient: dimethicone. This is silicone. Let’s learn a bit more.
Can you believe it is already the first full week of 2019? Me either!
I don't particularly care for New Year's Resolutions. Quite frankly, I believe in living each day one day at a time. I also believe that instead of trying to fix what we perceive as being flaws, we should resolve to treat ourselves more kindly. I do have some skin care and beauty resolutions that I would like to share with you, though.
1. Resolve to wash your face every single night before bed -- no exceptions.
Dermatologists recommend removing makeup each night for several reasons. First of all, if you do not remove your makeup, your pores will not have a chance to "breathe".
Your pores will become clogged with the ingredients in your makeup, no matter how natural it may be. The sebum will become trapped in your pores and you're risking a breakout. Leaving on eye makeup can cause other issues, such as redness, irritation, and even infection.
Environmental contaminants also lurk on the skin, so a gentle cleansing is in order.
You also may begin to look older if you do not remove your makeup at night. Why? Your skin cells regenerate at night at a faster rate than daytime. If your skin cannot breathe because of makeup left behind, the cell regeneration process won't be effective, making your skin look older over time.
Choose a gentle cleanser such as Seed Advanced Botanicals Daily Facial Cleanser.