A natural lip gloss that won't break the bank? Yes, please!
We've talked about it before -- expensive does not always mean better. The beauty industry is a prime example of this philosophy. From $30 tubes of mascara to $50 pressed powders, there are many expensive products containing mediocre ingredients.
What matters most is not the fancy packaging or the expensive price, but rather the quality of ingredients.
Take lip gloss, for example. Lip glosses really can vary in price, especially in the natural arena. Are expensive natural lip glosses better? Surely, they must be, right?
Not really. In fact, some of the "natural" lip glosses contain very few ingredients derived from nature -- and include a very hefty price tag.
At Seed, we pride ourselves on providing you with better for you ingredients at a better for your budget price -- all without sacrificing quality. Last week we launched our brand new Seed Satin Lip Gloss and it is truly not like the others on the market -- we have also been getting great feedback from you, our valued customers.
Today we're taking a look at 4 natural tinted lip glosses. We're comparing ingredients and price points -- what you learn may surprise you!
1. The first lip gloss we're taking a look at is from a "high performance" line of natural cosmetics. It retails for $19 and contains 0.27 ounces of product:
- Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, octyldodecanol, copernicia cerifera (carnauba) wax/cera carnauba/cire de carnauba, ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, aroma/flavor, benzyl benzoate, benzyl salicylate, BHT, caprylic/capric triglyceride, caprylyl glycol, cetearyl ethylhexanoate, disteardimonium hectorite, glycine soja (soybean) oil, hydrogenated polydicyclopentadiene, mica, palmitoyl tripeptide-38, phenoxyethanol, polyethylene, portulaca pilosa extract, propylene carbonate, silica, sorbitan isostearate, sucrose cocoate, synthetic fluorphlogopite, tocopherol. (+/-): Red 6 (CI 15850), red 7 lake (CI 15850), red 30 lake (CI 73360), iron oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), titanium dioxide (CI 77891)
Comments: This contains many controversial ingredients, including BHT, which is a toluene-based ingredient. Additionally, it contains artificial dyes, artificial flavors, and. The #1 ingredient, hydrogentated polyisobutene, is a synthetic polymer. Polyethylene is a polymer and adhesive ingredient found in nail stickers. How natural is that?
2. The second lip gloss today is from a "bare" line of mineral cosmetics. It retails for $18 and contains 0.15 ounces of product:
- Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Octyldodecanol, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Microcrystalline Wax, Trimethylolpropane Triisostearate, Stearalkonium Hectorite, Menthone Glycerin Acetal, Cetearyl Ethylhexanoate, Vp/Hexadecene Copolymer, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Butter, Silica Dimethyl Silylate, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Vanillin, Astrocaryum Murumuru Butter, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Flower Wax, Cinnamomum Cassia Leaf Oil, Sorbitan Isostearate, Retinyl Palitate, Tocopherol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Eugenol, Portulaca Pilosa Extract, Linalool, Sucrose Cocoate, Copper Gluconate, Sodium Chloride, Zinc Gluconate, Benzyl Benzoate, Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38, Mica, Carmine (Ci 75470). (+/-): Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Red 28 (Ci 45410), Red 27 (Ci 45410), Yellow 5 (Ci 19140), Blue 1 (Ci 42090), Iron Oxides (Ci 77491, 77492, 77499), Red 6 (Ci 15850)
Comments: This also contains hydrogentated polyisobutene, a synthetic polymer. There is carmine to give it color. Carmine is an animal ingredient -- crushed cochineal insects, to be more specific. There are also artificial dyes and multiple synthetic polymers.
3. The third gloss we're taking a look at is from a "truthful" company. This one also retails for $18 and it contains 0.18 ounces of product.
- Polybutene, Punica Granatum Sterols, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Trihydroxystearin, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Ammonium Glycyrrhizate, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491/77499), Red 7 Lake (CI 15850), Red 22 Lake (CI 45380), Yellow 5 Lake (CI 19140), Red 6 (CI 15850)
Comments: Again, like the previous glosses, there is a synthetic ingredient as the #1 ingredient. In this product, it is polybutene, a plasticizer. There is also hydrogenated polyisobutene, as well as an assortment of artificial dyes.
4. Here is the ingredients listing from Seed Satin Lip Gloss. Each tinted gloss retails for $9.95 and contains 0.24 oz (7ml) of product:
- Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil, Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax, Tocopherol
- The above is the recipe in our clear formula. You can choose to keep it fragrance free or add in a bit of Peppermint Essential Oil to give a refreshing zing to it. Additionally, each color's ingredients (added to our clear formula) is listed below. It is also important to note that any of the shades with Titanium Dioxide are free of nano-particles--
- Sunset Sangria: Silica, Iron Oxide (77491)
- Pinot Princess: Mica (77019), Iron Oxide (77499)
- Bordeaux-re-mi: Mica (77019), Iron Oxide (77491)
- Bellini in Venice: Mica (77019), Iron Oxide (77499), Titanium Dioxide (Non Nano 77891)
- Raspberry Cream Cassis: Mica (77019), Iron Oxide (77499), Titanium Dioxide (Non Nano 77891)
Comments: Our #1 ingredient is Grape Seed Oil. You will find only the finest plant-based oils, including Abyssinian Seed Oil.
Let's talk about the benefits of some of our ingredients (although all are beneficial, I am talking about 5 today):
Apricot Kernel Oil -- Rich in both Omega 6 and 9 fatty acids, this light contains an abundance of phytosterols and helps to increase moisture.
Abyssinian Seed Oil -- You are very unlikely to find this oil in your lip gloss! New in the skin care arena, Abyssinian Oil s a natural seed oil and has a light and non-greasy texture. Its molecular structure is unlike any other natural oil. It helps to moisturize and is believed to have anti-aging properties. It helps form an effective barrier to protect skin from drying out, too. It really is lovely on the lips!
Grape Seed Oil -- Rich in Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, this oil is a potent antioxidant. It is anti-inflammatory and emollient. Helps to plumpen the skin, too!
Castor Oil -- An anti-inflammatory oil, castor is really lovely in a lip gloss? Why? It imparts a beautiful sheen while providing moisture to the lips.
Jojoba Oil -- This long chain fatty acid is a skin protective oil. It helps to create a natural moisture barrier without a sticky or gummy feeling.
Let's talk color.
The colors in our lip glosses are from natural micas and oxides. No FD & C colorants here -- or animal ingredients like carmine.
We do not use artificial flavors or sweetening agents. We believe in offering choices, so we have a fragrance free version or you are welcome to choose Peppermint Essential Oil.
Be an informed consumer.
We talk a lot here at Seed about being an informed consumer. You deserve better products with better ingredients -- and ones that are better for your budget, too. We hope you will try out our new Seed Satin Lip Gloss & let us know your thoughts! Please feel free to upload a photo with you wearing your favorite shade and share it to your social media and tag us at @seedbodycare.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Lately I've been paying more attention
Essential oils continue to become more and more popular -- and with more science behind the benefits. Today, we are going to enjoy an in-depth look at Patchouli Essential Oil.
Patchouli (Pogostemon Cablin) is distilled from patchouli leaves and features an earthy, warm, musky aroma. You may even detect some light fruit notes from this oil. This is one of those oils that people either tend to love or hate when used on its own. Even people who swear that they could never enjoy its distinctive scent may find that become fans when blended with other oils! Plus, there are so many health and skin care benefits that you will not want to overlook this one.
Argan oil is one of the most promising -- and most proven -- ingredients in skin care. While it is not a new ingredient, it is an important one which has stood the test of time.
Today we're sharing 5 key benefits of this oil. Although it is not as well known as coconut oil or jojoba oil, argan is truly a special oil.
Argan oil, found in both Seed Soft Balm and Seed Advanced Botanicals Extra Moisturizing Face Cream, contains more antioxidant and cell regenerative properties than olive oil, grape seed oil and avocado oil combined.
Did you know that having a skin care ritual is one way to engage in self care?
According to Houston dermatologist Dr. Reena Jogi, “When you do a skin care routine, you’re usually alone, in your bathroom or somewhere quiet, and it’s just you and the mirror. There’s something slightly meditative about just sitting there and taking that 10 minutes just for you.”
We've talked about the skin care benefits of having a consistent routine here on the blog before, but that actual routine has far greater benefits that reach beyond a glowing complexion.